Tuesday, April 29, 2008
Holiday - Smile:)
So I've been on holiday for the last week and a half. I got to spend quality time with my children, doing some R&R. :) Really Bailee got sick and after making it through some long weekend nights decided to take her in to the doctor. We were spending nights under the open window for cool moist air, sucking out her nose and cup-patting her back and chest in hopes that her breathing would improve. The days were well enough that I would wait for another day, but Monday morning I took her in because she was sucking in her stomach and ribs so much when she'd try to breathe. Right away the doctor put her on a couple breathing treatments and because it didn't clear things up enough, she sent us to Primary Children's ER in San Diego. So I came home and made arrangements for my kids and David and I took Bailee to the hospital. We were there around 2pm. While we were there she coughed up an amazing amount of phlegm and her breathing improved just enough that they were discharging us with an inhaler for use as needed but --- last minute vitals said she had spiked a fever of 103 and that meant we were there for another 6hours. One of the things that they monitored was her oxygen levels. They like them to stay above 94%. Bailee was somewhere 91-96% while awake but when she'd go to sleep she'd drop down to 85-88%. So all they would do is have us wake her back up again and she'd pick up her numbers. (Talking to our primary doctor later, she would have admitted Bailee on oxygen) but who knows with a busy er and just about all their patients are coming in for the same reason. So back to the fever. The fever could indicate a secondary infection, so the doctors wanted to do some tests to determine what was going on. First they drew(sp) her blood and it showed a high white blood count, indicating her body was fighting something. But they didn't really want to just give her a strong antibiotic to cover anything if they knew what to target. Which meant more tests. Now the one doctor said you guys talk about it, we can't keep you hostage, but we really think the tests should be done. So there was a slight possibility that the fever was just because of her "Bronchialitis"(her cold with breathing problems-diagnosed) and we figured we'd head home. Well they wouldn't let us go. By the time we were done Bailee had a chest x/ray to check for pneumonia, a urine test to check for a urinary/kidney infection and a lumbar draw to check for what they were really worried about and that is meningitis. Well all the short term results came back ok and so they gave her two shots of antibiotic for the sake of fever and high white blood count, but not knowing specifically what she was fighting. So we finally got home about 1a.m. We made it through another night and Tuesday I was at the doctor's office 2 times for Bailee's monitoring and another shot and breathing treatments. They finally just sent home a nebulizer machine for us to use. Wednesday I was back in the morning because Jeremiah had an eye and ear infection and then back in the afternoon for Joshua's well-check and another followup for Bailee. That's when I talked to the doctor about her oxygen levels dropping when she slept. So after another antibiotic shot, I fed her and we monitered her levels while she slept. They did drop off to about 90-92% but Bailee was quite a bit better than Monday so we let that one slide. (another time -well hopefully not:))(oh and since she was still working on breathing - she got an extra medication to help open up her lungs more.) Thursday I got a break and didn't climb out of pjs all day. But Friday I was back for another follow-up. The doctor said she still had a lot of junk rattling around in her chest but she was improving. Well by Friday I was sick myself and somehow managed to get to Monday again on the uphill. That is my week, and it is amazing that my kids are still well behaved and my laundry is caught up and the toys put away, dishes done and dinner on the table when David gets home. - - NOT!:) When all is said and done though, I am really thankful for my own moments and can't really complain. We were really lucky to have good neighbors and friends to watch the kids and bring us dinner, and good doctors who were able to help us. I was blessed to not be at my worst when Bailee was at her worst, and David helped out a ton! And it could've been worse (just seeing some of the kids in er or listening to other peoples stories), but it wasn't and so I'm thankful .
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





3 comments:
WOW!! Sign me up for your next holiday--NOT! heehee What a week. I wish I could be there so I could help you out. Glad others do, but wish I could. I am so glad little Bailee is okay--that stuff can be so scary. What a trooper she is. And you too. Thinking of you and here is a big HUG!!
I hope you are all feeling better now! Not fun! Somehow I have managed to not have any children taken to or in the hospital for any breathing/cold conditions-- I'm counting my blessings! Take care and I love ya and love your blog!
Hey Chanda,
I'm glad to hear things are going better. Sorry you guys had such a rough week. I just love your blog page. I think your kids are so funny and so cute. Well hope you have a great week!!
Post a Comment